Monday 23 March 2009

Giving up the girlie

According to all fashion sources, the trouser suit is making a reappearance. 
For the Elle style awards Roland Mouret dressed Natalie Imbruglia in a white cuffed, figure hugging trouser suit.
With her sky scraper Christian Louboutin heels, black suit and slicked black hair, Natalie was the only star on the red carpet that held my attention for more than five minutes. It was so powerful, so womanly, so... in charge. 
As much as I love the girlie flounce, Luella style ruffleness, it's all a bit... young. All a bit much effort. All a bit, girl.
Some days, I don't want builders to wolf whistle at me, I want to command a man's respect, everyone's respect. I want to get things done. 
Could this be the dawn of a new era? Are women fed up with constricting flounces and fuss?
It's true, every now and then I want to shed that skirt, not have to bother with tights or stockings or even to shave. I want to pull on some wide legged, well-fitted trousers and a suit jacket with elbow-length runched sleeves and a very deep plunging neckline. In fact, much like Kate Moss's YSL jacket,  but from New Look and only costing £25. (Just to make this jacket even more versatile it does also work over dresses, and T-shirts, skinny jeans & pumps.)
But just because you are wearing a suit doesn't mean that you can't be at all sexy. In fact, I would argue that it's even more sexy... not necessarily because of the whole 'less if more' theory but because it's faintly subversive. In Elle this month Mouret notes himself that French women love to dress in chic suits because it's about playing with gender and gender roles, as very traditionally trousers and suits are meant to be worn by men. 
So throw in a Breton top and some skyscraper red heels, and that makes me one chic Mademoiselle.   


No comments: