Thursday 29 January 2009

I love Luella...



There are some designers who I think produce very fuckin' weird clothing. Pucci for example, how are those ridiculous prints going to flatter anyone? Or Gareth Pugh, with his weird space age collections that no average girl would be seen dead in. 
However, there are some designers that I want to cuddle and take to bed with me because their clothes are just so chic and wearable but edgy, fun and totally feminine. 
Luella Bartley is one of these such designers, and so when I got told at a party at the weekend that my purple gingham-print low-cut forties-style top from River Island with a very tight nurse belt was very 'Luella', I was so happy I think I actually stroked the poor girl.  
I have always loved Luella's fabulous clothes, the way she plays with checks and tight waists and prom dresses. Her cute designs on T-shirts and the amazing extras that just totally make the outfit, like little frills, flowers, pearls and pink veils with hearts in them. 
Any woman who says she makes "the kind of clothes you can get drunk and fall over in" is definitely my kind of woman. 
I have featured two of my favourites, this fabulous black prom dress with a gorgeous sweetheart neckline and v. cute T-shirt, both on sale at Net-a-porter now! Sadly I still can't afford them but Luella's influence is still rampaging through the high street, in fact, as further evidence, she made her first collection for New Look back in 2002. So it's easy to copy her girlish, romantic style. So hurrah for the high street and hurrah for Luella. 

No comments: