Friday 9 January 2009

Denim features are so dull


One mag clothing feature I always without fail flick straight through and never read is the 'denim feature.'
This is not because I don't wear jeans - I do. I have a grey pair of skinnies, a black pin striped pair of skinnies, some baggy boyfriend jeans and even some old bootcuts that don't really see the light of day. Jeans are wonderfully versatile and when worn with the right things extremely stylish.
It's just denim is a staple, it's the backdrop to the rest of your outfit - it isn't revolutionary and it doesn't really change that often. I'm so bored about reading how a denim mini skirt or jacket is the new way to wear denim, when I'm sure I was wearing both at the age of eight.
Also, denim is not beautiful. It doesn't make me swoon to look at it. I have never lusted after the perfect pair of jeans. I'm far too busy looking at the pretty shoes.
When I flick through my latest Glamour, Elle, etc - I want to look at beautiful things, I want to covet what's on it's pages. I've never coveted a pair of jeans, ever.
And it annoys me how the mags have been desperate to get us out of skinny jeans for about two years. A recent poll shoes that skinny jeans are the average girls favourite clothing purchase, so they may indeed stick around for a while to come. Baggy boyfriend jeans are great for lazy sundays but they don't work down the pub/club. With a shiny top and nice heels, skinnies do work down the pub/club. They fit inside knee high boots far easier and they also have that French joie de vivre, especially when worn with Chanel pumps (great high street rip offs to be found, I especially like Dorothy Perkins and Primark do an uber cheap pair for just £6 right now.)
I think I might go give my skinny jeans a little cuddle. Perhaps I don't appreciate my 'outfit backdrop' quite enough.

No comments: