Saturday 20 December 2008

What's in, what's out...

Every year at around this time (at the cusp of every new season) the mags have 'buy/chuck out' features. They show which clothes will be big for 2009 and what 2008 trends must line the waste paper bin.
I find these features, especially in credit crunch times, both exciting and also very depressing. Being told lace is now out cuts to the quick when you have just days ago spent £60 on a lace edged shift dress.
However, they can bring some delight... for example, the obi belt will be big next year. Oooh, I already own a black leather obi belt.
For academic reasons I have picked a particular 'buy/chuck out' feature from weekly shopping bible Look magazine and decided to rip the baby apart with my own opinions.
In
Dresses:
80's bodycon - I sooo want a bandage dress.
Oriental Print - not really my thing.
Drop waisted - yuk!
Oil slick dresses - leather look works for me, very sexy.
One shouldered - who apart from very thin women can get away with such a thing?
Bow details - awwww!
Tops:
Animal print - always love the animal print
Sheer shirts - I would say would work very well with a pussy bow but apparently they are out.
Western Fringed - yuk yuk yuk.
Skirts:
Pleated - very cute and have already got one, yay!
High-waisted Pencil - Always looks good to me!
Graphic florals - yuk.
Trousers:
Playsuits - Would work on my skinny housemate, not on me.
Wide leg - already got two, very flattering.
Silk - on trousers?
Jackets:
Sporty jackets - no way.
Kimono - only as a sexy dressing gown.
Power shoulders - the eighties revival gone too far.
Accessories:
Faux skin bags - loooooove faux crocodile skins on bags, lovely, lovely, lovely.
big earrings - Don't suit my hairstyle.
Pearls - been a big fan of the Chanel look for a long time.
Sporty bags - Would only ever use on the way to the gym.

Out
Dresses:
40's - Nooooo! but it really suits me!
Tartan - Honestly, I think the Vivienne Westwood thing has a lot more milage.
Smock - Never suited me anyway.
Ruffles - Nooooo, I love my ruffled dress!
Embellishment - Was never into that anyway.
Tops:
Applique - Phew, thought it looked naff.
Gothic - If Daisy Lowe continues this look, the look will continue.
Skirts:
Tiered - but no, it's so cute, I loved my tiered sailor dress!
Netted - Too old for netted anyway.
Ditsy florals - But if it's good enough for Alexa?
Trousers:
Boiler suits - surely this is just a long version of the playsuit?
Skinny - rubbish, long may the skinny jean continue.
Leather - not if the tube is anything to go by.
Jackets: -
Military - this upsets my military styled housemate immensely.
Cropped - bog off, I love my little cropped jacket.
Biker - this look is never going to go out, no matter what a mag says.
Accessories:
Metallics - This will be back next christmas party season.
Corsages - No, the Carrie Bradshaw in me will never die!
Studded belts - well chavvy look anyway. I agree, so over.
Pendants - No, no no!
Structured bags - I am actually having a tantrum now.
As all fashion savvy ladies know, it is always good to keep abreast of the upcoming fashions and an easy to follow pictorial guide is always useful.
But the only reasons you should ever chuck out clothing are a) because it no longer fits, b) it's so old it's falling apart and can no longer be fixed. c) it doesn't make you feel good when you wear it anymore.
True style is about being yourself. Trendsetters never care about what is in or out, they make a look all of their own. So I will keep my 'out' clothes and wear them with pride. Because a) I love them and b) don't have the cash to keep replacing my clothes.

No comments: