Wednesday 10 December 2008

Fur coats & gold necklaces

Fur: faux pas or fine as long as it's faux?
Hip-length faux fur coats can work on the ultra prim and the ultra skinny. They must have a high neck and a button on the collar. But I am neither ultra prim or ultra skinny, in fact I don't know many women who are, so I'm simply not interested.

But the knee-length faux fur coat, now that works. And in so many ways. It doesn't matter on the colour; white, brown, leopard print... They all have their place.

A luscious fluffy coat open to reveal a tiny sparkly dress underneath will make quite an impact. And they are becoming very affordable on the high street. I saw one for just 80 quid from Miss Selfridge.

Even so, it's like the ultimate in luxury. Big hair, big make up, just big and out there. Bare legs and big big heels are also a must. If you're going to make the style statement of wearing a fur coat, you have to go all out.

Never do your fur coat up, for a start, all that fluff is just going to make you look fat. But mainly, fur coats are all about unnecessary wealth. They are not meant to actually keep you warm. A fur coat done up with blue jeans? So chavvy.

As are the fur coats in H&M, which are essentially fluffy bomber jackets. So nineties, so hilarious for my mum and sister when I tried one on with a leather mini skirt. The word hooker was used.

If you are going to try and rock out your fur coat, it again has to be knee-length and go for leather trousers rather than a leather skirt. Black skinny jeans with big buckled boots also works - Kurt Geiger have a fantastic pair, but at £220, I'm hunting for a high street alternative.

Another addition which always suits a fur coat, a gold necklace.

I adore the new fascination with gold necklaces, especially the Heartfelt range at Urban Outfitters, including a beautiful and unique adaptation of the locket.

I snapped up the 'envelope' necklace immediately (or the 'I Love U Tiny Locket' as the shop calls it). A tiny little gold envelope perched daintily at the bottom of a gold chain. You can open this envelope to reveal a tiny little plaque that reads 'I love you' in italics. How unbelievably sweet?! I don't care that surely a man should buy this necklace for me. I love me and that is quite simply enough to shell out £14.

Never one to be beaten, Accessorise have some beautiful gold necklaces, including Eiffel tower and anchor pendants at very reasonable prices.

In fact, I may pay them a visit and buy the lot... what's that noise? Oh, my bank manager is wailing again.

No comments: