Monday 1 December 2008

Pink shoes, pink bra, pink knickers.

Forgive me, I have come over all Katy Perry.
After buying an exquisite pair of pink T-bar style forties stiletto heels, I've fallen back in love with the colour pink.

As a teenager, I adored all things pink. Especially if they had cherries on them.
But then I grew up and got a job. My colour of choice became flame red - to suit my new grown up sexually dominant personality (that's what I like to tell myself anyway.)
A male friend was once very surprised when I told him I didn't own a pair of pink shoes, despite owning at least five red pairs. But at the time I told him pink was 'out.' I wasn't in the mindset for lovey dovey pink. I was all about world domination.
But these shoes, oh, the shoes. With a red sole but the beautiful faded pink leather and cutesy bow they perfectly mesh my inner girlieness with my grown up self. For the first time in months I found myself pulling out my very sweet pink gingham underwear set. Lacy balconette bra, little lacy shorts. People, this is as sweet as sexy goes. It's like Little House on the Prairie for hot people. (Especially if added with above mentioned heels and red lipstick.)
I'm a girl falling in love again, I'm 13 going on 30... loving the pink.
Maybe Katy Perry is to blame for the new apparent obsession with a more girlie way of dressing, her 1950's style is so sweet you could vomit on her cherry flavoured chapstick. She's all about the glitter, cute motifs and pin curled hair.
And the shops are certainly copying her vibe. As proof, Faith has a pair of peep toe courts, entirely covered in cherry print. What to make of this? Are we to be confronted with a parade of retro throwbacks come Spring?
Don't get me wrong - I love the retro. I love the seamed tights and the red lipstick and the pink shoes. I love the waist cinching and the big bosoms. However, despite my current love affair with pink and kitsh, I'm not sure I can quite go the whole way. I'm too old and too much of a feminist. I prefer to look like a woman with a bit of edge than a pretty little girl.
So how to do the pink loving without being too sickly sweet? How do we combine the loved up girl with the tough-talking, boardroom-owning woman? Obviously the shoes do it well. Another example is my newly acquired pink checked shirt from River Island.
This I believe, is not all sweetness and light. This shirt, despite it's cute little ruffles and randomly placed sequins, can be punked up - thanks to it's low, low neckline, this shirt teamed with skin tight black jeans, and black Carrie Bradshaw Dior heels (If you've watched the film, you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't watched the film, you are so obviously lost in Blogland - get out of my site) is pure raucous, nasty sex on a stick. And yet it's still pink! And you can get away with wearing it down the local pub. Yay for overdressing.

No comments: