Thursday 2 July 2009

Hot hot heat

Has anyone else noticed how heat makes people pull out their best frocks? The sun is out, it's an event, an occasion! Those beautiful yet totally impractical for a cold country items we buy in a frenzy of lust and longing are suddenly useful, and ba boom, the women of London are dressed like it's the bahamas.
Cute little halterneck fifties dresses, nautical sailor inspired playsuits and indian summer floral prints have all become de rigueur on the tube.
Oh and about a hundred different types of sandal are newly coming into play. Gold ones, studded ones, metal ones, glittery ones, fringed ones, multi-strap ones. The list goes on.
Firstly, this made me very glad I did eventually splash out in Vienna on the metal sandals pictured for just forty euros, in the sale at Zara down from fifty. Total bargain. And I have discovered they go very well with many items in my wardrobe, especially my summery blue wrap dress. And I gave my other gladiator sandals to Beth, so I really feel no guilt for my purchase, technically it was a forty euro present for Beth.
Secondly, I want to buy more sandals. I also want to buy some more high waisted shorts, the shorts I currently have are just not quite high waisted enough and I have totally fallen in love with a pair worn by newbie pop star Pixie Lott in Look magazine.
But thus far, I am being very strong. I have not purchased any beautiful new summer gear. I did have a wander into Dorothy Perkins and River Island but I assure you it was totally by accident. You see, this thief ran away with my mind and my purse and obviously I had to follow the clothes obsessed little slag into both shops to get them back. I had to wrestle her down in front of the most beautiful pair of pink and zebra print sling back heels in River Island. But I'm very pleased to tell you I won and left the shop sans heels with both mind and purse intact.
I have also been playing around with different outfit options, today putting together my navy striped nautical vest with an old fifties style skirt from Primark. This Gok Wan capsule wardrobe thing is working better than previously expected.
When I first got back from holiday I admit I had a terrible shock. Perhaps naively, I thought that as I had been away for two weeks not spending any money (well I was spending money, but that had already come out of my account when I changed it for foreign currency) I would suddenly have shitloads of cash in my account. I was wrong, it was still pretty much the same as ever.
But I have also been doing some calculations. I have worked out that if I put a certain amount into a savings account every month and don't touch it for six months, I will have saved up enough to pay off my overdraft by Christmas! That means I can shop in the January sales! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Now this is something to look forward to.

Current overdraft total (minus amount in savings account): £1,295.40

No comments: