Friday 7 August 2009

Just a minor shopping indiscretion... or two.


Ok, this week, well, this week has not gone so well.
You see, it's my dad's 50th birthday party soon. It's a fancy dress party and I'm  
going as Marilyn Monroe. 
I think it's fair enough to buy a costume, I mean, it isn't for me, it's for my dad! So I toddled on down to the fancy dress shop and discovered two Marilyn dresses. 
One was a very synthetic, see through, badly fitted white halterneck dress for £20 - this dress did not give me any kind of Marilyn allure or sophistication. It made me look like white trash with droopy boobs. Not a look I favour.
The other dress, which cost nearly £60, was just beautiful! Pure silk, fitted 
perfectly with corset ribbons and a wonderful long pleated skirt I could just swirl round and round forever in.
I know from an economic perspective I should have just gone for the £20, it's just a fancy dress party and I'll probably never wear it again.
But, well, I have a minor obsession with Marilyn. I admit, I am not into the whole psychoanalytic, suicidal, weak, all for man and child, fluff and giggle routine, I prefer a little more kick ass attitude. 
But I like the way the woman dressed - I have read that I have very similar 
measurements to her, and I think she maximised her assets to full effect.
So when presented with these two options, I knew I had to go for the more 
expensive option. I just had no choice! I then had to get the big pants (wow, how did women breathe in those things!) the red lipstick, false eyelashes and wig.
So phew, that was indeed pricey.
Then, well, I went into the Primark and New Look in Tooting. I honestly was  
merely accompanying my housemate so she could take back a top. Instead I 
ended up buying a pair of flat biker boots, developing an obsession with a pair of suede pixie boots, buying an uber-cute heart printed mini skirt, some Chanel 
style pearls and a red beret.
Whhhooooops!
Because it was Primark and New Look I did only spend £55 on all those lovely clothes. But it's still very bad. And £50 I don't really have. Especially 
considering the price of the Marilyn dress.
But, well, they are all wintery style clothes, so it's not all bad. These are clothes  
that will last! I can wear the mini skirt with thick tights, the boots and a jumper in the middle of December, and I can hardly wear the beret in the hight of August  
can I? It was an investment purchase.
And I had said in my initial rules if I found a pair of biker boots that I liked for  
under £50 I was allowed to buy them. The fact I'm now desperate for the pixie 
boots is a whole other problem.
And the Chanel beads? I have no real excuse except that the Coco Chanel film is on at the cinema at present so it really is the height of fashion and Chanel pearls never go out of style. 
Most importantly, they only cost me £2.50
So, yes, I have been an extremely naughty girl. I had my comeuppance though. I looked at my bank balance yesterday and actually yelped. Yep, I yelped, like a  
dog. A dog with no money. 
On the positive side, I have created two new outfits with my existing clothes that I am looking forward to wearing! It's all about the layering and the mix and  
matching!
Just stay the hell away from Primark and New Look.

Current Overdraft total: £1256.02 This means I have spent £496.84 in a week, a week! I'm a money spending machine. So, so bad. *Sob*


No comments: